BURNABY, B.C. — Four men are facing charges after police say they broke up a gambling ring in Metro Vancouver.
The illegal gambling team linked to B.C.’s specialized anti-gang unit says it investigated a suspected gaming house earlier this year and served a search warrant in July at Big Shots Cafe in Burnaby.
A statement from the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says several people were taking part in what appeared to be illegal gaming.
Two Burnaby residents, a Delta man and one from New Westminster, all aged between 36 and 58, are now charged with being in a common gaming or betting house.
Court records show all four are scheduled to return to provincial court in Vancouver on Friday and again on Jan. 6, 2021.
Sgt. Brenda Winpenny says in the statement that it is a criminal offence to take part in unauthorized gambling in B.C.
“Illegal gaming, and the locations that allow them, have been the root of other criminal offences that impact the safety of the public,” Winpenny says.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 26, 2020.
The Canadian Press