The Southern Utah Thunderbirds (17-3) are favored (-2) to continue a seven-game win streak when they visit the Portland State Vikings (8-10) at 10:05 PM ET on Thursday, March 4, 2021 at Viking Pavilion. The matchup has an over/under set at 147.5 points.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of March 4, 2021, 2:16 AM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Best Betting Odds
The line for this game set by DraftKings and the model’s prediction are essentially the same (within 0.4 points of each other).
In this game, the model projects a total (144.1 points) slightly lower than the DraftKings over/under (147.5 points).
Prediction: Southern Utah 73, Portland State 71
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Examining the Over/Under
- The average implied total for the Thunderbirds this season is 76.6 points, 1.6 more points than their implied total of 75 points in Thursday’s game.
- Southern Utah will attempt to outscore its implied point total for this matchup (75) for the 17th time this season.
- The 74.3-point average implied total on the season for the Vikings is 1.3 more points than the team’s 73-point implied total in this matchup.
- Portland State has scored more than 73 points in six games this season.
Implied totals are projected point totals for each team based on totals and spreads set by sportsbooks.
Southern Utah and Portland State Records ATS
|ATS Record||ATS Record Against 2+ Point Spread||Over/Under Record (O-U-P)|
Against The Spread (ATS) records are only reflective of games that had odds on them.
Betting Tips – Shooting Stats
- This season, the Thunderbirds have a 47.6% shooting percentage from the field, which is 4.8% higher than the 42.8% of shots the Vikings’ opponents have knocked down.
- In games when Southern Utah shoots higher than 42.8% from the field, it is 8-3 against the spread and 15-1 overall.
- Portland State is 6-7 overall and 7-4 against the spread when allowing its opponents to shoot better than 47.6% from the field.
- The Vikings have shot at a 40.8% clip from the field this season, 2.5 percentage points below the 43.3% shooting opponents of the Thunderbirds have averaged.
- Portland State is 5-1 overall and 4-0 against the spread when it makes more than 43.3% of its attempts from the field.
- When Southern Utah’s opponents shoot over 40.8% from the field, it is 2-1 against the spread and 7-1 overall.
- The Thunderbirds’ 34% three-point shooting percentage this season is just 0.8 percentage points lower than opponents of the Vikings have shot from beyond the arc (34.8%).
- Southern Utah is 5-1 against the spread and 8-1 overall when it shoots better than 34.8% from downtown.
- Portland State is 5-2 against the spread while putting together a 5-3 straight-up record when its opponents make more than 34% of their shots from downtown.
- The Vikings are knocking down 30.7% of their shots from deep, which is 2.6 percentage points fewer than the 33.3% the Thunderbirds’ are averaging on the season.
- Portland State has a 5-2 ATS record and is 5-3 straight-up in games when the team hits more than 33.3% of its three-point attempts.
- Southern Utah is 4-1 ATS and 9-1 overall in games it shoots over 30.7% from deep.
- The Thunderbirds make 9.2 three-pointers per game this season, 2.1 more makes per game than the Vikings allow (7.1).
- Southern Utah has gone 7-3 against the spread and 12-2 overall this season in games it has out-shot its opponents from the three-point line. When Portland State hits fewer three-pointers than its opponents, it is 3-2 ATS and 1-5 straight up.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from